(please see our home page for a day by day update on vaccination clinics)
Following extensive trials, the first three safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines has been approved in the UK and are now available to priority groups.
Clevedon Medical Centre is working with other surgeries in our area to offer COVID-19 vaccination clinics. Vaccinations are being delivered according to priority groups identified by the Joint Committee of Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).
Due to the storage requirements and the fragility of the Pfizer vaccine the government has mandated that each group of surgeries only vaccinate from one site. Our vaccination site is in Portishead and details will be given when we contact you to make an appointment.
The Astra Zeneca vaccine, which was approved more recently, does not require the same stringent storage requirements, but the first batches are also only being delivered to the central site in Portishead. However we are able to offer these via clinics at Clevedon Rugby Club.
When it is the right time for you to receive your vaccination, you will receive an invitation to come forward. This may be via the phone, or through a text or letter either from your GP or the national booking system.
We are asking people not to contact us to get an appointment as you will not be able to get one until you are contacted. We are being required to offer these vaccines in strict order of priority and unfortunately we cannot make exceptions to offer vaccines to lower priority groups before we complete the higher priorities.
You need 2 doses, approx 11 weeks apart. We will book the first appointment and will advise you of the second appointment in due course. It is very important that you attend both appointments. The immune protection will take some weeks to be relied upon.
For those that are interested about details on the vaccine itself, there is already lots of information about the Pfizer Biontech vaccine in the public domain. Please click on the links below for more information.
Guidance for patients who have been invited to a COVID-19 vaccination clinic
- It is very important that you attend both appointments but please do not come if you have any possible COVID symptoms.
- If you are not able to attend you must let us know as soon as possible.
- Please come into the surgery independently. Any carers or people that bring you down must wait outside.
- For Pfizer vaccines you will need to wait for 15 minutes after your vaccination.
- Please arrive at the time of your appointment
- Please wear a face mask
- Please wear short sleeves or a vest-sleeved top so that we can access your upper arm easily
- Please park where advised
- You should not have any other vaccinations within 7 days before or after your COVID vaccination